Mushroom Malai Matar – A rich, creamy and delicious Indian gravy with mushrooms and peas as the main ingredients. Tastes so good with Rice or Roti. Learn how to make this simple gravy in less than 20 minutes.
About this recipe
Mushroom Malai Matar, popularly known as Khumb Matar Malai, is one of the most simple gravy recipes that I have tried. Recently, I came across this dish in a TV show and decided to give it a try and was extremely impressed with the outcome. So creamy, rich and delicious.
The creamy texture mainly comes from the onion cashew paste and the cream that’s added towards the end of the recipe. If you want to make this recipe vegan, omit the cream. Just the cashew paste is good enough to get the creamy texture.
I am a big fan of mushrooms. Also, I love gravies that are not made of the usual onion tomato base. I always look forward to making something different than the usual ones. So, this gravy is a win-win for me. A mushroom gravy without using tomatoes. I just loved it. It has a totally different flavour and taste when compared to the usual gravies.
This gravy is so flavourful with just a handful of ingredients. Tastes as good as the one you get in restaurants. Mushroom and Peas go so well together. Makes a great combination. Also, they get cooked super fast. This makes the cooking process really simple.
Why do I love this recipe
Can be made in in 20 minutes or less
Creamy, Rich and Restaurant Style
Kid Friendly Recipe
A great recipe for potluck and parties
Uses minimal spices
How to make Mushroom Malai Matar
In a pan, add oil. Add sliced onion, ginger, garlic, green chilli, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and cashews. Saute till golden brown. Switch off. Add little water and grind it to a smooth paste once cooled down to room temperature.
In the same pan, add oil. Add the ground paste, add frozen green peas, salt and chilli powder. Add water and adjust consistency. Close and cook for 5 minutes.
Add cut mushroom pieces. Close and cook for 5 more minutes. Open , adjust salt if needed. Switch off. Add cream. Top with finely chopped coriander leaves or kasuri methi. Serve hot.
This mushroom malai matar goes so well with some rotis, phulkas or naan and even some simple jeera rice. Instead of a dal, you can make this simple gravy in a matter of few minutes for a simple lunch or dinner.
This gravy is finger-licking good and can be served in parties and potluck as well. I am sure all the guests will definitely enjoy this recipe. Since it is creamy and not so spicy, this is a kid-friendly recipe as well.
Other recipes you may like
Mushroom Matar Malai
- 250 grams Mushroom
- 1/2 cup Green Peas Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Onion Roughly Chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt As needed
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh Cream
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves Optional
- In a pan, add 1 tsp oil. Add onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cardamom, cinnamon and cashew nuts. Saute on low to medium flame till light brown.
- Switch off. Once it cools down to temperature, make a fine paste with little water.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp oil. Once hot add the ground paste.
- Add frozen green peas, salt and chilli powder. Adjust consistency by adding little water. Close the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Make sure you cook on medium flame.
- Now add chopped mushrooms and close the pan again. Cook for 5 more mins or until the mushroom and peas is well cooked.
- Check for salt. Switch off and add fresh cream. Mix well.
- Garnish with crushed Kasuri methi. Add coriander leaves if desired. Serve hot.