Green Peas Masala is a restaurant-style gravy prepared using green peas as the main ingredient. It is cooked in a rich tomato cashew gravy and topped with butter, coriander leaves while serving.
Green Peas is one of the most used ingredients in my kitchen. I like adding green peas to everything from Pulao to Upma. I always have a pack of frozen peas in hand. So, making this gravy is usually a breeze. I have used cashew paste, butter and curd in this recipe which makes this green peas gravy very creamy and rich.
Matar Paneer, Aloo Matar, Gobi Matar are popular choices with Rotis. But when I run out of vegetables, this green peas gravy is my first choice for a side dish.
Since green peas have a natural sweetness, I have added a bit more spice to make the gravy a little spicy. You can modify the spice level according to your taste. Like I mentioned earlier, I have used frozen peas in this recipe. You can use fresh peas, dried peas as well. The gravy tastes really good when made with fresh peas.
Why do I like this gravy
It is very simple to prepare. Takes less than 20 minutes.
Made using simple , easily available ingredients
Can be paired with multiple dishes like Roti, Rice, Idli, dosa.
It is versatile. Any other vegetable of your choice can be added in this gravy.
Makes a good option for lunchbox as well.
What can this green peas masala be paired with
I like pairing green peas masala with Rotis. It also tastes really good with plain rice, mild pulao. Goes well with Coconut Milk Pulao.
This gravy also tastes good with Dosa, Idli.
All varieties of naan, paratha go well with this green peas gravy.
Green Peas masala also tastes good with bread / pav bun.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DO SHARE YOUR COMMENTS AND RATING WITH ME. ALSO, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE PICTURES WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM. FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE RECIPE UPDATES.
Green Peas Masala
- 1 cup Green Peas I have used frozen peas
- 1 Onion Large
- 2 Tomatoes Medium
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 15 Cashews
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 Clove
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Curd
- Coriander Leaver for garnishing
- Soak the cashews in some warm water for 15 minutes. Chop the onions finely and keep them aside.
- In a pan, add oil. Once hot, add cumin seeds, clove, cinnamon,
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till sligtly golden in colour.
- Blend the chopped tomatoes, green chilli, ginger, garlic, soaked and drained cashews and make a fine paste.
- Add this tomato paste to the kadai once onion is well cooked.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Next, add garam masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder. Cook for few minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Add in the peas and cook for 5-7 minutes till done.
- Keep the flame on low and add the curd. Mix and let it cook just for a minute.
- Switch off. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
2)You can add fresh cream instead of curd. 3)Add curd when the flame is low. After adding curd, don’t cook for a long time. It may curdle.