Soft, Moist, Eggless Honey Cake is famous in South Indian Bakeries. Popularly known as Iyengar Bakery Honey Cake, this spongy cake is soaked in honey and topped with jam and desiccated coconut.
Just the description is enough to get us tempted. It’s a bonus that putting together this mouthwatering Honey Cake is super simple. I know many of us are always looking for soft and spongy eggless cake recipes. This bakery-style eggless honey cake fits the need.
Though I haven’t lived in Bangalore, I have heard much about this famous Bangalore, Iyengar Bakery Honey Cake. My husband, who has spent many years in Bangalore, has often mentioned the cakes, buns and sandwiches he has tasted in these Bakeries. Apple cake, Honey Cake, Khara Buns, Puffs and many more! That’s when I decided to try making these at home, and I have been enjoying these treats all these years.
Why are such cakes not available these days? I prefer this over those decadent buttercream cakes. Kids would love this honey cake. It’s an apt recipe for parties, gets together, and potlucks.
Why do I love this Bakery Style Eggless Honey Cake?
Easy to prepare with simple ingredients
Unique from the regular cakes that we usually make or buy
Tastes delicious and looks very rich. Perfect for parties!
Suitable for anyone who doesn’t like cakes frosted with tons of cream.
Ingredients required are
Dry Ingredients – All Purpose Flour, Salt, Baking Powder & Baking Soda
Wet Ingredients – Oil, Yogurt, Milk, Sugar, Vanilla Extract
Honey Syrup – Water, Sugar, Honey
Topping – Jam, Sugar, Desiccated Coconut
How to make Eggless Honey Cake
To make the Eggless Sponge Cake :
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of a pan.
Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a bowl. Combine and keep it aside.
Add oil and sugar to another bowl. Whisk together until well combined. Add yogurt.
Whisk till light and creamy. Add vanilla extract and combine well. Add the milk and dry ingredients alternatively to the above mixture. Mix to make a smooth batter.
Transfer the batter to the baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until done. Once the cake is baked, let it cool down to room temperature.
Place the cake on a serving plate. Poke holes all over the cake.
To make the Honey Syrup :
Boil water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves completely. Once the mixture cools down a bit, add honey to it and mix well.
To make the glaze/ topping :
Combine jam and sugar in a saucepan. Mix well and cook on low flame until the jam melts. Let the glaze cool down to room temperature.
Cake Assembly :
Pour the honey syrup into the cake. Let it get absorbed.
Spread the melted jam on top of the cake. Garnish with desiccated coconut.
Slice & Serve.
Homemade Jam or Store bought Jam can be used. You can use any flavour of jam that you prefer.
To make sure the cake gets soaked well in the honey syrup, poke holes in the cake. This way, the syrup gets to all parts of the cake evenly. Also, let the cake soak in the honey syrup for a while before serving. The cake tastes best this way.
The base cake can be a plain vanilla sponge, or you can add nuts, tutti frutti, and orange/pineapple juice to flavour the cake.
I have made an eggless sponge here but you can always make a sponge with eggs and use it in this honey cake recipe.
Add honey only after the sugar syrup comes to a warm temperature. Honey should not be cooked.
Adjust the amount of honey and jam according to your taste.
This Bakery Style Eggless Honey Cake can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for five days. If you refrigerate the cake, bring it to room temperature before serving.
Other Cake recipes you may like
Eggless Honey Cake
For the cake
- 1 & 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For honey syrup
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 6 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 cup Water
For the glaze
- 5 tbsp Jam
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 or 3 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
To make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease and line the bottom of a baking pan. I have used an 8-inch square pan.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a bowl. Combine and keep it aside.
- Add oil and sugar to another bowl. Whisk together until well combined. Add yogurt. Whisk till light and creamy. Add the milk and dry ingredients alternatively to the above mixture. Mix to make a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. Once the cake is baked, let it cool down to room temperature.
To make the honey syrup
- Boil water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves completely. Once the mixture cools down a bit, add honey to it and mix well.
To make the glaze
- Combine jam and sugar in a saucepan. Mix well and cook on low flame until the jam melts.
- Make sure the jam mixture can be spread easily.
To assemble the cake
- Make sure the cake is completely cooled down to room temperature. Place the cake on a serving plate. Poke holes on the cake so that the cake absorbs the honey syrup completely.
- Pour the honey syrup gradually so that the syrup goes to the bottom of the cake.
- Spread the jam generously on top of the cake using a spatula. Sprinkle desiccated coconut over the jam layer.
- Cut and serve the cake.