Creamy and Rich Baby Corn Gravy that pairs well with both Rice and Roti. This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. A delicious Baby Corn Masala that is sure to please everyone with its smooth texture and mild spice.
On busy weekdays, I prefer making simple rice with some gravy as an accompaniment. During one such day, I made this delicious Baby Corn Gravy with Bagara Rice. The entire family loved it so much and kept asking for multiple servings.
Not only on busy days. Even on lazy days when you feel like ordering from a restaurant, this gravy is something that you can prepare in less than 30 minutes.
Recently when I visited Costco, I stumbled upon some fresh baby corn. It’s been a long time since I found fresh baby corn in grocery stores near me. Once I saw it, I got super excited and picked multiple packets of Baby Corn to make my favourite recipes. I will be sharing them one after the other here. This delicious Baby Corn Masala is the first recipe that I am sharing from the lot and it’s my favourite one too.
About Baby Corn Gravy
Baby Corn is a favourite ingredient in most households. Baby Corn in starter recipes is my all-time favourite. Next comes this Baby Corn Gravy. The Masala turned out so delicious that my kids couldn’t stop raving about it the whole day. The gravy has no cream or butter but still turned out super-rich and creamy because of cashews.
When it comes to vegetarian food, most people stick to potatoes and paneer. There are lots of vegetables, especially in the Indian Market, that are so flavourful and taste wonderful when made as a gravy. While there are various methods to add flavour and spice to a gravy, sometimes all we want is to use simple ingredients that are available at home to make something delicious. This baby corn masala gravy ticks all those boxes.
How to make Baby Corn Gravy
Cut Baby Corn into desired size. Soak cashews in hot water for around 20 minutes. Grind tomatoes into a fine paste.
Grind cashews into a fine paste by adding very little water. In little oil, saute babycorn with salt and turmeric powder. Fry for around 5 minutes. Keep it aside.
In the same pan, add oil. Once hot, add bay leaf, cumin seeds.
Add finely chopped onion. Saute for 5 minutes. Add ginger garlic paste. Cook till raw smell goes away. Add tomato puree. Cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder. Cook well. Add baby corn. Saute well. Add 2 cups of water. Close and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame till baby corn is fully cooked.
Add cashew paste, garam masala. Cook for 5 minutes. Keep on lowest flame. Add 1 tbsp thick curd. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch off. Add kasuri methi.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti or rice.
You can add Capsicum to this recipe along with Baby corn. The combination would taste really good. Other vegetables can also be added according to your preference.
Some cream can be added towards the end to make the baby corn gravy richer.
Instead of frying the baby corn in the beginning, you can also parboil or pressure cook for 1 whistle before adding it to the gravy.
Other Recipes that you may like
Baby Corn Gravy
- 500 grams Baby Corn
- 2 medium Onion finely chopped
- 2 medium Tomato
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 20 Cashew Nut
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Thick Yogurt / Curd
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Soak 20 cashews in hot water for around 20 minutes. Make a fine cashew paste using little water.
- Cut the tomatoes into medium size pieces and make a puree.
- Chop Baby Corn into desired size. Add 1tbsp oil to a pan. Add baby corn to the pan. Add salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Cook for 5 minutes till the colour of the baby corn slightly changes. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil. Once hot, add bay leaf, cumin seeds.
- Add finely chopped onion. Saute for 5 minutes till it becomes slightly golden brown. Next, add ginger garlic paste. Cook till raw smell goes away.
- Now, add the tomato puree. Cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder. Cook well till all the powders blend well with the tomato.
- Next, add the pan fried baby corn. Mix well until baby corn is completely coated with the masala. Add 2 cups of water. Close and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame till baby corn is fully cooked.
- Add the ground cashew paste, garam masala. Cook for 5 minutes. Keep on lowest flame. Add 1 tbsp thick curd. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the stove. Add crushed kasuri methi.
- Finally , garnish with coriander leaves if desired. Serve hot with roti or rice.