Delicious and Hearty Instant Pot Chickpeas Spinach Curry is perfect for everyday family meals. This Vegetarian, Protein Rich , Creamy & Nutritious gravy can be served as a side for Rice or Rotis.
Chickpeas Spinach Curry is a cozy, absolute comfort dish that can be whipped up quickly in one pot. On busy working days, we often look for recipes that can be made easily and those that can keep us full for a long time. This Chickpeas Curry ticks all those boxes. By using just those regular pantry staples, you can make this delicious, protein-rich gravy in your Instant Pot.
Sometimes, we want to come back home to a dish that can make us feel happy, content and full. This Instant Pot Chickpeas Spinach Curry has everything that you want. It’s creamy, mildly spicy, packed with flavours, and nutritious with the addition of chickpeas and greens. I love how spinach blends so well with the rest of the ingredients. Gives a perfect balance of taste, texture and flavour.
My kitchen is always stocked up with all dry beans and legumes. If you are someone who loves chickpeas and would like to try the South Indian style, try my
Instant Pot Chana Gravy or Instant Pot Kerala Kadala Curry.
I come from a family where we consume beans & legumes on a daily basis, and we cook it from scratch. Tinned, Canned, Frozen is just not preferred. So, I hardly use canned beans to cook my regular Indian Recipes. I prefer to soak dried beans well in advance and cook from scratch. How many of you cook the same way? 🙂
Why you will love this recipe
Comfort, One Pot Recipe
Made using Simple Ingredients that are often found in our pantry
Protein Filled, Wholesome and Nutritious
Can be made ahead and stored for busy weeknight dinner
Delicious Vegetarian Gravy which can be served with Rice, Rotis, and Bread
An ideal recipe for parties, get-togethers, and potlucks. Almost every person I know likes a good Chana Gravy. So, this recipe is sure to be a super hit.
The list may look long but these are ingredients that are stocked up in most of our pantries.
Chickpeas – I have used dried chickpeas in this recipe.
Spinach – This recipe uses fresh, baby spinach. You can also use frozen spinach.
For the Curry Base- Onion, Tomatoes, Ginger Garlic Paste
Spices – Bay Leaf, Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Chilli powder, Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder
Other Ingredients- Oil /Ghee, Salt, Water
Coconut Milk – For a creamy texture and taste
How to make Chickpeas Spinach Curry in Instant Pot
Wash and soak dried chickpeas in enough water for 6-8 hours. Drain the water and keep it aside.
Select Saute mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil. Once hot, add bay leaf.
Add finely chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add tomato puree, spice powders, salt. Mix and cook well for 2-3 minutes.
Add chickpeas and mix together. Add water, check for salt and spices. Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release pressure manually.
Add roughly chopped spinach, coconut milk. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes. Switch off. Serve hot.
Chickpeas Spinach Curry can be served with Rice, Quinoa, and Millet.
It is also a great side for Indian Bread like Roti, Naan, Paratha, Parotta, Poori etc.
When I made this gravy last week, I served it along with toasted brown bread and my kids loved it.
This Curry tastes great with mild rice recipes like Ghee Rice, Jeera Rice,
Coconut Milk Pulao, and Millet Spinach Pulao. Don’t forget to serve it along with a bowl of raita for a complete meal. You can try my Okra Raita or
Roasted Eggplant Raita.
Tips & Variations
Do not cook too long after adding spinach and coconut milk. Just a few minutes is enough.
Spice powders can be adjusted to your taste.
I usually add baby spinach but kale, fenugreek leaves or a mix of greens can be used.
Once chickpeas are cooked, you can take a ladle of it, grind it and add it back to the gravy. This makes the gravy thicker and gives a nice texture as well.
To make this using a stovetop pressure cooker, follow the same instructions and cook the chickpeas with masala for around 6 whistles.
Other Indian Vegetarian Gravy Recipes that you may like
Other Instant Pot Recipes you may like
Instant Pot Chickpeas Spinach Curry
- 1 cup Dried Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp Oil or Ghee
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 medium Onion finely chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt as needed
- 3 cups Spinach roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk I used canned
- 1 & 1/2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Wash and soak dried chickpeas in 4 cups of water for 6-8 hours or overnight. Drain the soaked water and keep the chickpeas aside.
- Select SAUTE on Instant Pot. Once hot, add oil or ghee. Add bay leaf, and finely chopped onion. Saute for a minute. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Make a puree of 2 medium-sized tomatoes and add it to the Pot. Add salt and spice powders. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the soaked and drained chickpeas. Mix well. Add water and mix well.
- Close the pot with the lid. Select the PRESSURE COOK option and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes(which means, leave it undisturbed for 10 minutes). After 10 minutes, release the pressure manually.
- Open the lid. Add roughly chopped spinach , coconut milk and mix well. Switch on SAUTE mode and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Check for salt. Switch off and serve hot with Rice, Indian Bread.