Flavourful and Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas is a filling meal and a great dinner option. This saucy, cheese-filled dish is sure to be a favourite of everyone in the family. This is my variation of the Mexican Style Enchiladas with the addition of my favourite filling.
Healthy and packed with a bunch of colourful vegetables, this dish is also a cheese lovers’ delight. Made using easily available ingredients from your pantry, this quick meal is sure to be a superhit in your kitchen. Learn how to make this beautiful meal in 30 minutes!
Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas
I love Mexican Food! it reminds me of Indian Cuisine because of the spice and flavour. This recipe is my style of making Enchiladas and may not be the authentic way of making it. In this recipe, to give it a slight variation, I have added paneer to the filling. Because, why not? Trust me, it tastes excellent.
This particular Enchiladas recipe has always been a hit with family and friends. These simple and delicious Enchiladas are a perfect option for weeknight dinners, weekends or your parties & potluck. This is also a wonderful casserole dish that can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Imagine having a fancy meal ready for you to take to work the next day. The best thing isn’t it?
These Enchiladas are also an amazing way to sneak in vegetables for people who aren’t big fans of eating vegetables. The sauce and cheese along with those vegetables make this an amazing meal for everyone in the family, right from kids to adults.
The cumin and chilli powder in the sauce gives an extra depth of flavour along with the addition of jalapenos to this dish. With the generous addition of enchilada sauce, the spice is balanced to a great extent.
How to make these Enchiladas
This is a great beginner-friendly enchiladas recipe. With vegetables and cheese, what’s not to love in this dish?
This Vegetarian enchilada recipe is super quick and easy to make and is extremely flavourful as well.
We first prepare a quick and delicious homemade enchilada sauce that is really easy to prepare with just a handful of ingredients.
Then, we make a delicious vegetarian filling. I stuff mine with paneer, bell peppers, onion and some jalapeno for the extra spice.
Next, we fill the tortilla wraps with vegetable filling and some cheese.
Finally, we layer the baking pan with the sauce, tortilla wraps, more sauce and cheese on top.
Pop them into the oven and bake till done. Super simple for such a delicious and gorgeous meal isn’t it?
Why do I love this recipe
Can be put together in 30 minutes
A fancy dish with simple ingredients
Ingredients for the filling can easily be customized
Can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator
This a great recipe for parties & potluck
Flavourful and filled with vegetables. It makes it delicious and healthy
Baked enchiladas can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat the enchiladas in a microwave or you can bake it at 380F for just 5 mins in your oven till it’s warm enough and the cheese melts.
I personally haven’t tried freezing enchiladas. If you try doing it, do let me know how it works.
Alternate Filling Options
Butternut Squash, Pumpkin, Spinach, Carrot, Sweetcorn, Sweet Potato, Zucchini and Olives are a few of the other options that can be used for the filling.
You can also add some black beans or refried beans to the filling. Makes the dish more healthy and complete.
You can serve these Vegetarian Enchiladas with a simple salad or some baked tortilla chips. These Vegetable Filled Enchiladas can be had on their own for a filling and delicious meal.
I love such hearty, quick and gorgeous-looking meals. If you are a tomato lover, you will definitely enjoy this dish for sure.
Also, if you are looking for more such recipes, try my Vegetable Au Gratin or
Zucchini Boat recipe. You will love it.
For the Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tsp Oil / Butter
- 3 tbsp All purpose flour
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
- 13 oz Canned Tomato puree around 360 ml
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oregano seasoning
- 3 cups Water
For the Filling
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 3 cups Vegetables finely chopped
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce or use any hot sauce
- 4 Large Tortillas or use 8 small tortillas
- Shredded Cheese I have used mozzarella cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
For the enchilada sauce
- In a pan, add oil/butter. Once it becomes hot, add all purpose flour, chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder and pepper powder. Cook them for few seconds on low flame.
- Add tomato puree, salt, sugar, around 3 cups water and cook well for 5 mins.
- Top with oregano seasoning and keep aside.
For the filling
- Add oil to the pan. Add chopped onion and vegetables of your choice. Saute for 2 mins.
- Add salt, tabasco or any hot and spicy sauce. Cook for 30 seconds. Switch off and keep it aside.
- Preheat oven to 380F/ 190C.
- On the stovetop, cook tortillas for 20 seconds on both sides. Keep the filling in the middle of each tortilla.
- Top with some shredded cheese and wrap them.
- In a baking pan, pour half of the freshly prepared enchilada sauce and spread it evenly.
- Place the wraps on top of the sauce. Top it with the remaining sauce, a generous amount of cheese and jalapeno slices.
- Bake at 380F/190C for 13 mins. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.