Cajun Potatoes is a Signature Starter dish served in Barbeque Nation, a famous restaurant in India. To those of you who have had this dish in Barbeque Nation can definitely remember how good it tastes. Generally, Vegetarian starter options are pretty repetitive in most Indian restaurants. When I first heard of these Cajun Potatoes, I was really excited to taste a unique starter dish.
I am a big fan of potato-based dishes. Especially when it comes to starters, potatoes are my first choice. A few months back, I was badly craving these cajun potatoes and was looking for options to make them at home. I was telling my husband about these Cajun Potatoes and he asked me what’s so special about this dish. He hasn’t been to Barbeque Nation and was quite clueless about it. So, I was very keen on making a replica for him to understand why I loved these Cajun Potatoes so much.
When I finally tried this recipe and tasted this dish, both of us were not disappointed. These Cajun Potatoes look and taste like a typical restaurant-style dish.
For this recipe, using readymade Cajun Spice Mix is one option. Since I did not have them in hand, I tried preparing the spice mix at home and the taste was really good. I adapted the recipe of this spice mix from https://www.allrecipes.com/
These Cajun Potatoes are a burst of flavours. There is mild sweetness because of the addition of honey. Honey actually enhances the taste of this dish. It’s a creamy, delicious starter recipe that can be prepared easily with ingredients that are commonly available and still achieve the feel of a restaurant-style starter. Isn’t it exciting? So, what are you waiting for? Do try this recipe for your next party or during a relaxed weekend.
Step by Step Instructions
1) Take the baby potatoes in a bowl. Wash and scrub them once. Cook them till they are almost done. I cooked them in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Once done, take them out and gently press them with your palm. Don’t press very hard. The potatoes will break.
2)Now, prepare the sauce. In a bowl add mayonnaise, tomato sauce. Mix well.
3)Add honey, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, oregano, red chilli flakes, chilli powder, pepper powder, salt to taste. Mix well. Add little milk to get a nice pouring consistency.
4)In another bowl, add corn flour, maida/all purpose flour, pinch of salt. Add water and make a batter. It should be neither thin nor thick. Coat the potatoes in this cornflour mixture. A thin coating will do. Deep fry them in small batches until done.
5)Arrange the potatoes on a serving plate. Pour the sauce over it and make sure all potatoes are fully covered. Garnish with red chilli flakes and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Points to note
1)Do not overcook the potatoes.
2)Use potatoes with their skin.
3)Add the sauce over the potatoes just before serving to prevent it from becoming soggy.
4)You can use regular-sized potatoes which are cut in quarters but baby potatoes taste best in this dish.
5)Instead of deep-frying, you can shallow fry the potatoes.
6)If using a readymade cajun spice mix, start with 2 tsp and adjust according to your desired spice level.
Cajun Potatoes Recipe Barbeque Nation Style
To cook the potatoes
- 20 baby potatoes
- salt to taste
For the Cajun Sauce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 & 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 2 or 3 tbsp milk
- salt to taste
For the batter
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp maida
- water as needed
- oil as needed
- chilli flakes as needed
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- Take the baby potatoes in a bowl. Wash and scrub them thoroughly. Add a pinch of salt and cook the potatoes until 3/4th done. I cooked them for 2 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Once done, transfer them to a plate and gently press them with your palm or a back of a spoon.
- In a bowl, add the ingredients for the cajun sauce and mix it well. Make sure it is pourable. Keep it aside.
- In another bowl, add the ingredients for the batter and dip the potatoes in the batter. A thin coating is enough. Deep fry or shallow fry the potatoes in oil. They should be golden and crip.
- In a serving plate, place the fried potatoes. Add the sauce on top of it. Garnish and serve immediately.