Most people enjoy potatoes as their favourite vegetable. It is one of the vegetables that are always readily available in most kitchens. This simple yet delicious recipe for Potato Peas Kurma is perfect for weeknight meals. In 30 minutes, you can make this Kurma with boiled potatoes, frozen green peas, onion, tomato, coconut, and a few basic spices. The Potato Peas Kurma goes well with Poori, Roti, Dosa, and Pulao.
I often make this gravy when I have less time, but I still want something delicious and filling. Potato Peas Kurma is also my favourite choice when I have no other vegetable in the kitchen. Kids love it when I pack this gravy in their lunch boxes. My family asks for an extra serving every time I make this Kurma. Isn’t that a sure win?
About the recipe
Kurma is a very popular dish in Indian Cuisine. Each part of India, or each household, has a different way of making Kurma. I have already shared a rich and delicious Vegetable Kurma recipe on the blog.
In Indian Cuisine, there are various methods to make the same recipe. This is my quick version of using Potato and Green Peas in gravy. In Tamil, this kurma is also known urulai pattani kurma. This is my preferred recipe when bored with the usual South Indian Potato Masala.
Adding coconut, green chillies, and other spices make this Kurma so flavourful and rich. You would be surprised at how beautiful the consistency and taste are! This simple recipe still brings out the creamy texture without using cashews, poppy seeds or other nuts.
Why I love this Potato Peas Kurma
A simple recipe with basic ingredients
Takes less than 30 minutes to put together
Can be scaled up and made in large quantities for parties and potluck
Mildly spicy, flavourful and creamy
A beginner-friendly recipe
Boil potatoes, peel the skin and cube the potatoes into medium-sized pieces.
Make a fine paste with grated coconut, fennel seeds, green chillies, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon. To a pan, add oil. Once hot, add cumin seeds.
Once the cumin seeds splutter, add curry leaves and chopped onion.
Cook till the onion becomes transparent. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add salt, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri chilli powder, close and cook for 5 minutes or until tomatoes turn mushy.
Now, add the coconut paste and water. Close and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and frozen peas. Add salt and water if needed.
Cover again and cook for 5 minutes. Once done, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serve this delicious Potato Peas Kurma with Poori, Roti, Paratha, Naan or any Indian Bread you choose.
This kurma also tastes amazing with Dosa, Appam and idiyappam.
Other recipes you may like
Potato Peas Kurma
- 500 grams Potatoes
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Curry Leaves few
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Salt adjust to your taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1 & 1/2 cups Water
- Coriander Leaves few, to garnish
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- Water as needed
- Add potatoes to a pressure cooker. Add enough water and cook for three whistles or until the potatoes are done.
- Peel the skin and cube the potatoes into medium-sized pieces.
Make Coconut Paste
- Add the ingredients under "Coconut Paste" to a mixie jar. Grind it once.
- Add water as needed and make a fine paste. Keep this coconut paste aside.
For the Potato Peas Kurma
- To a pan, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds.
- Let the cumin seeds splutter, add curry leaves and onion. Saute till onions slightly change colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri chilli powder, close and cook for 5 minutes or until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now, add the coconut paste and 1/2 cup water. Close and cook for 5 minutes until the raw smell of the paste goes away.
- Add the potatoes and frozen peas. Add salt and 1 cup water if needed. Cover again and cook for 5 minutes. Once done, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.