Ammini Kozhukattai is a spicy variety of kozhukattai made especially on Vinayaka Chaturthi in South India. Rice Flour Dumplings are steamed and cooked in the Instant Pot along with mildly spiced flavourings and grated coconut.
Instant Pot Ammini Kozhukattai is an easy and mess-free version of making Ammini Kozhukattai/ Rice flour dumplings. More than being a festival recipe, this is a favourite snack that I make at least once a month.
Usually, during Vinayaka Chaturthi, Ammini Kozhakattai is made with leftover kozhukattai dough, where the dough is rolled into tiny balls and tossed in a spicy powder and finally with some coconut. Wait! You don’t need the leftover dough to make this snack. You can prepare a small batch of dough just to make this. That is what I always do!
Right from childhood, I have loved eating these cute kozhukattai balls and always preferred them to the regular ones. As kids, my sister and I were always asked to roll those tiny balls because it is pretty time-consuming. The elders had other bigger tasks on festival days. Also, this is one job that kids would love to help you with. Finally, this is one kozhukattai where we don’t have to worry about perfection or shape. Huge relief isn’t it?
For making this kozhukattai spicy, I have used this Idli Podi which is always a staple in my kitchen. It is flavourful, and mildly spicy and adds to the taste of this simple Ammini Kozhukattai.
Instant Pot Ammini Kozhukattai
Usually while making kozhukattai, my kitchen is a complete mess. I don’t enjoy that scene one bit! But with Instant Pot, the job is pretty easy and mess-free as well. Making the dough to perfect consistency is the first important thing. With Instant Pot, this job is done easily! In this version, I have used Instant Pot from start to finish. Steaming the balls and finally frying them is also done in The Instant Pot. All in one pot. Which means fewer dishes to wash. Yay so happy! 😀
Flour: The main Ingredients for making Instant Pot Ammini Kozhukattai are Idiyappam Flour/Rice flour. I personally prefer using Idiyappam flour for this recipe. It is readily available in Indian Grocery stores. But, Rice flour is equally good as well. Readymade Rice flour can be used in this recipe.
Idli Podi : For the spice! You can get the recipe for Idli Podi here.
The 3 main steps
Preparing the dough.
Making the kozhukattai balls and steaming them.
Finally, Saute with spice powder and coconut!
Points to Note before making Instant Pot Ammini Kozhukattai
- Make sure to work with the dough when it is slightly warm.
- Always add some oil to your palms while kneading the dough and before making the rice flour dough balls.
- Don’t let the balls dry out. If you are preparing a huge batch, place a damp kitchen cloth and cover it while the first batch is being steamed.
- Rice flour or Idiyappam Flour can be used in this recipe.
- Idli Podi , curry leaves powder or any other spice powder can be used for flavouring. You can also leave it plain with just the tempering and coconut garnish
- You can make the balls and the masala powder the previous night itself.
- Water proportion varies from flour to flour. So, keep an eye on that.
With this simple Instant Pot method, you don’t have to wait for a special occasion or festival to prepare Ammini Kozhukattai. It could be a regular snack or breakfast option. Also, this mini kozhukattais are sure to win your heart! I am sure about it.
How to make this on the stovetop
This recipe can be prepared using a stovetop as well. Boil some water, along with oil & salt. Switch off and add the flour little by little. Mix everything together using a ladle, to form a smooth dough. Once warm to handle, make small balls and steam the balls using a steamer basket on a Stovetop pressure cooker, pan or in an Idli Cooker. Then, add oil to a frying pan. Temper with the given ingredients and add the steamed balls. Add idli podi and saute for a few mins until well roasted. Garnish with coconut and serve. That’s it!
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DO SHARE YOUR COMMENTS AND RATING WITH ME. ALSO, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE PICTURES WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM. FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE RECIPE UPDATES.
Instant Pot Ammini Kozhukattai
For the dough
- 1 cup Idiyappam Flour / Rice Flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
For the spice powder
- 3 tsp Idli Podi optional
For the tempering
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 tbsp Shredded coconut dry or fresh coconut can be used
- To an Instant Pot, add water, salt, oil and close the lid. Make sure it is in sealing mode.
- Let it cook in manual/pressure cook mode for 3 mins. Once done, release pressure quickly.
- Immediately, add the flour little by little. Using a ladle, Keep mixing continuously and form a smooth dough.
- Once the dough comes together, transfer it to a clean, dry bowl. Cover it with a wet cloth so that the dough doesn't dry out. If the dough dries out, the balls will have cracks.
- When the dough is warm enough to handle, apply some oil to your hands and start making small balls. Keep the rest of the dough covered until everything is fully done.
- Now we are going to steam the balls. Make sure you clean the inner pot or use another inner pot before the next step. Alternatively, you can steam on the stovetop.
- Add 1 cup water to the inner pot of the IP. Grease an idli pan or steamer basket with oil. Place the rolled balls in a idli pan or steamer basket and place it inside the inner pot. Steam it for 8 minutes in your Instant Pot. Release pressure quickly.
- Once all balls are done, just pat dry the inner pot using a tissue paper.
- Now keep the Instant Pot on saute mode. Add oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once they splutter, add the cooked balls.
- Saute for a minute. Add idli podi and saute for 2 mins. Adding idli podi is optional. If you want to have it plain, just omit it.
- Garnish with grated coconut and switch off. Serve with some hot tea for a snack.