This homemade spinach and kale pesto is an easy, healthy recipe and comes together in less than 10 minutes. Add this vibrant and beautiful pesto to your pizza, pasta or sandwich! The options are just endless.
Homemade Spinach and Kale Pesto
Who doesn’t love simple recipes that can be made in under 10 minutes? I absolutely do! This Spinach and kale Pesto is a variation of the Classic Pesto Sauce made using Basil. I don’t always get basil in the shops nearby and hence hardly make the regular Pesto Sauce. That’s when I started making pesto with Kale and fell in love with this variation.
Recently, I tried adding a bunch of spinach leaves to the recipe and loved how bright, beautiful and flavourful the pesto was. Kale & Spinach have a lot of health benefits. So, why not incorporate it in our meals in as many ways as possible? Also, the addition of walnuts and pine nuts adds to the texture and crunch of this recipe.
I personally love kale and it is a permanent part of my weekly grocery shopping. One of my favourite kale recipes is this Crispy Baked Kale Chips. Do give it a try if you are a fan of kale as well!
- Kale – of course! Just use the leaves in this recipe
- Spinach – Only the leaves again!
- Garlic – For the flavour.
- Walnuts & Pine Nuts – For the Texture, Flavour and Crunch
- Parmesan cheese – Traditionally, parmesan is added to pesto for a nice flavour!
- Lemon juice – For the colour and to balance the flavour
- Olive oil – It adds moisture to the sauce. A must for Pesto recipes!
- Salt – For the taste
How to make Spinach & Kale Pesto
Rinse the kale and spinach leaves. Roughly chop and keep them aside. Add in all the ingredients except kale, spinach leaves & olive oil to the food processor.
Give it a pulse and grind the ingredients. Add the roughly chopped kale and spinach to the food processor. Pulse again.
Add olive oil little by little and grind everything together until well combined. Easy and Delicious Kale Spinach Pesto is ready.
Points to Note
Store kale and spinach pesto in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays and then transfer the frozen cubes to a ziplock bag. Keep it frozen for up to 2 months.
To make this recipe nut free, substitute the nuts with hemp seeds.
I prefer my pesto to be a little on the dry side and don’t enjoy oil floating on the top. If you need more oil in your pesto, feel free to increase the quantity to your taste.
You can omit the parmesan cheese if you want to make this recipe Vegan.
Add it in your Homemade Pizza
Toss it with some Pasta
Use it as a salad dressing
Serve it with some garlic bread
Slather it in your sandwich
And many more..The options are endless.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DO SHARE YOUR COMMENTS AND RATING WITH ME. ALSO, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE PICTURES WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM. FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE RECIPE UPDATES.
Homemade Spinach and Kale Pesto
- 2 cups Chopped Kale Leaves tightly packed
- 1 cup Chopped Spinach Leaves tightly packed
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt adjust to suit your taste
- Rinse the kale and spinach leaves. Roughly chop and keep them aside.
- Add in all the ingredients except kale, spinach leaves & olive oil to the food processor.
- Give it a pulse and grind the ingredients. Next, Add the kale and spinach to the food processor. Pulse again.
- Add olive oil little by little and grind everything tohether until well combined. Easy and Delicious Kale Spinach Pesto is ready.