Good Pizza Dough is one of the key ingredients to get a lovely crust in your homemade pizza. So, if you feel like having a pizza, do try out this Wholewheat Homemade Pizza Dough. Easy, Fail-Proof and rises quickly. Perfect for Friday Pizza Night. In this recipe, I am going to show how to quickly prepare and rise the dough with Instant Pot. For those who don’t own one, worry not. I am sharing the method to rise the dough without the Instant Pot too!
Homemade Pizza Dough
I still remember I started my Instagram account with the picture of my 1st homemade pizza. From the time I started baking at home, I have been experimenting with a lot of pizza recipes. This wholewheat pizza dough is now a favourite and is a foolproof recipe. Homemade Pizza is any day better than store-bought. It is free from preservatives, you can customize it very easily and it tastes a lot better! The most important part of making pizza is getting the perfect crust. With this dough, you can nail it every single time.
One apprehension that a lot of people have is around proofing the dough. Especially those who live in cold countries(like me) always have a problem with this. In this recipe, I will be sharing the tips & tricks to get the perfect dough and to proof it with and without an Instant Pot. The Yogurt Mode in Instant Pot, aids in rising the dough a lot quicker and easier.
- Whole Wheat Flour (I have used Indian AATA)
- Yeast ( Instant or Active Dry Yeast )
- Luke Warm Water
- Olive Oil
Why should we use Instant Pot to proof the dough
With Instant Pot, we can proof the dough in Yogurt Mode, in less than an hour. It is programmed to be the perfect temperature. It generally takes around 2-2.5 hours if you don’t use an Instant Pot. Especially in places with cold temperature, the dough needs to be kept in a warm oven for it to rise enough. Instant Pot eliminates the whole process and makes it a lot simpler. If you don’t have one, check here and buy it off!
Next, the weather conditions won’t affect the process. Be it summer or winter it would take the same time to proof the dough unlike when you let it rise on the countertop. Finally, you will always end up with consistent results every single time.
Unfortunately, an Instant Pot without Yogurt function won’t work for rising the dough. But worry not. You can rise it normally at room temperature or in a preheated and (switched off) warm oven.
What else can Pizza Dough be used for
Use of yeast in Pizza Dough
Yeast is the most important leavening agent in the dough, which means it helps the pizza dough to rise well. The best pizza dough recipes produce a dough that rises quickly, resulting in an airy, bubbly and delicious crust. You can use either instant yeast or active dry yeast. Active dry yeast needs to be activated prior to use whereas instant yeast can be used directly in the dough.
Why did my Pizza dough not rise well
During rising, the yeast ferments the sugar and develops the dough. Rising also improves the flavour and texture of the bread. So, this process is extremely important. Few reasons why this may not happen is because,
Yeast is too old or not of good quality.
Water used to activate the yeast is not at the right temperature. Yeast acts best when water is at a lukewarm temperature. If the water is too hot, yeast will get killed. If it is cold, the yeast won’t get activated.
Dough needs the right temperature to rise. If the room temperature is cold, the dough may not rise enough.
Not giving enough time to rise the dough is also one important reason.
How can I store the leftover dough
Leftover Pizza Dough can be wrapped using a cling wrap and refrigerated for 2 days. Also, can be frozen for a month. Defrost to room temperature and then use the dough.
Step by Step Instructions.
In a mixing bowl add Wholewheat flour, salt, Instant Yeast and Oil. Add water little by little, mix well and knead for at least 10 minutes. Initially, the dough will be sticky. Keep kneading till a smooth dough is formed.
If using active dry yeast, in a bowl add warm water, sugar and yeast. Mix well and leave it at room temperature until the yeast gets activated. Add this mixture to the flour, salt & oil. Mix and knead well.
Grease the inner pot of the IP using with little oil. Gather the dough and form a smooth ball.
Now, place the dough inside the inner pot. Switch on the IP and close the lid.
Press YOGURT function and set it at 30 minutes at Normal Mode. Once the timer goes off, open the lid.
The dough would have risen well or doubled in quantity.
Once the dough is doubled in size give it a punch and transfer it to a work area. Roll the dough according to your desired thickness. You can easily make two thin pizzas with this quantity or one thick crust pizza can be made.
Spread the dough over a pizza pan and poke it with a fork to prevent the dough from rising while baking.
Spread a layer of pizza sauce, and top it with your choice of vegetables, seasoning and cheese.
Bake it at 450 F / 230 C for 17-20 minutes.
How to proof the dough without an Instant Pot with Yogurt Function
If you do not have an Instant Pot with Yogurt function, worry not. It is easy to proof the dough even otherwise.
Prepare the dough as instructed above. Place it in a glass or steel bowl. Coat with some oil. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and place it in the warm area in your kitchen until the dough doubles in size.
Since I live in a place with cold weather for the most part of the year, I usually preheat the baking oven for 5 minutes, switch it off and place the bowl with dough inside the oven. I keep the light of the oven ON. Wait for around 2-2.5 hours for the dough to rise.
Tips & Suggestions
Make Pizza base using a combination of all purpose flour & whole wheat flour or just all purpose flour too.
The water to flour ratio will differ from flour to flour. So adjust accordingly.
If using active dry yeast , use warm water to activate the yeast. Make sure the water is not hot. It will kill the yeast.
Use good quality, fresh yeast. If yeast is old, it won’t work well.
If kneading pizza dough by hand, knead it for minimum 10 minutes or for 5-7 minutes minimum if using standing mixer.
Dough should be tight an easy to roll.
Poke the pizza base with a fork before baking so that it does not fluff up.
If using Instant Pot to proof the dough, use any size. But, if using 3 QT, keep a watch on it if making a large quantity of dough.
Other Recipes To Try
Wholewheat Pizza Dough Recipe
- Instant Pot
- Stand Mixer
- 2&1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour I have used Indian Aata
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast Use 1.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup Warm Water will vary depending on the flour used
- 1&1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1&1/2 tsp Salt
- 1&1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- If using Stand Mixer, take your stand mixer bowl. Add flour, salt, sugar, Instant yeast.
- Just give a mix using the dough hook for 30 seconds on slow speed.
- Add the lukewarm water and oil to the flour mixture. Knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes on medium high speed till it combines well. Form a smooth ball of dough.
- Make sure you add water little by little. You may need more or less depending on your flour type.
- If you are not using a stand mixer, then for about 10 minutes till you form a smooth and non sticky dough ball.
If Using Instant Pot to proof the Dough
- Coat the dough ball with some oil. Grease the inner pot of the IP with little oil. Place the dough ball inside the pot.
- Switch on the Instant Pot and close the lid.
- Press YOGURT BUTTON and set it at 30 minutes at Normal Mode.
- Once the timer goes off, open the lid. You will notice that the dough has risen or doubled in quantity.
If Not Using Instant Pot to Proof the Dough
- Proof the dough in a warm place for about 2-2.5 hrs or till it doubles in size. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth. If you live in a cold place, preheat your oven for 5 minutes. Switch it off. Switch on the light and place the dough bowl inside. The warmth of the oven will help the dough rise.
To make the Pizza
- Once the dough is doubled in size give it a punch and transfer it to a work area. Roll the dough according to your desired thickness. You can easily make two thin pizzas with this quantity or one thick crust pizza can be made.
- Spread the dough over a pizza pan and poke it with a fork to prevent the dough from rising while baking.
- Spread a layer of pizza sauce, and top it with your choice of vegetables, seasoning and cheese.
- Bake it at 450 F / 230 C for 17-20 minutes. Serve hot.