Ragi Chocolate Cookies – made with ragi/ finger millet flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and brown sugar. The addition of ragi flour in the cookies makes them a little healthier than the usual chocolate chip cookies.
I am not a health-conscious person and I don’t show much interest in healthy baking or baking with alternate flours. I believe cakes and cookies taste the best when made with butter, sugar, maida. But, these days I am trying to incorporate millets once in a while in my diet. These cookies are not the healthiest out there. These Ragi Chocolate Cookies still have a good amount of butter, brown sugar in them. But, they are definitely healthier than the cookies made out of refined flour, refined sugar. Perfect for someone who wants to incorporate millet flours and is looking for a delicious recipe to include them.
Ragi is a millet packed with nutrients. This is a good way to incorporate millet flour if you are not a fan of eating them otherwise.
These cookies are buttery, melt in the mouth and have a lovely chocolate flavour. They are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. So, go ahead and try making these cookies and share your comments and feedback with me.
Step by Step Instructions
1) Dry roast the ragi flour till the raw smell goes (The roasting step is optional). Once it comes to room temperature, sift and add ragi flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder to a mixing bowl.
2)Add room tempearture butter and sugar to another bowl. Beat them until light and fluffy.
3)Then, add vanilla extract and milk. Sift in the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
4)Next, add in the chocolate chips and give a mix. Once everything is well combined, divide them into equal-sized balls. Flatten the dough ball. Arrange them in a cookie tray. Chill for half an hour.
5)Preheat oven at 180C/350F. Bake for 15 minutes or until done. Cool for few minutes and shift to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Ragi Chocolate Cookies
- 100 gms Butter around 3/4 cup
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Ragi Flour
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Dry roast the ragi flour on medium flame for few minutes till the raw smell goes. Keep it aside. This step is optional.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Vanilla & Milk. Start with 1 tbsp milk. In the end if dough doesn't come together, you can add 1 tbsp at a time and form a dough.
- In another bowl, sift and add the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the beaten butter, sugar mixture.
- Mix until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips.
- Mix well until combined. At this stage, if dough doesn't come together, add milk 1 tbsp at a time and form a tight dough ball.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Gently flatten them and place on cookie tray.
- Rest them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F /180C.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done.
- Cool and store in air tight container.
If you make them small, & thin , it will result in nice crunchy cookies. 2)Once the cookies are done , they tend to be soft. Once it cools down, they turn firm. 3)Oven temperature and times may vary. Make sure you don’t over bake the cookies. You can check the bottom of the cookies. If they are slightly brown and crisp, it is an indication it is done. 4)The cookies last for a week in room temperature when stored in an airtight container.