Instant Pot Semiya / Vermicelli Kesari is an Indian dessert made using semiya, ghee, sugar and topped with fried nuts. Semiya is a term used for Vermicelli in the southern part of India. The term Kesari comes from the word “kesar” which denotes the orange colour. To achieve this colour, we either add good quality saffron or food-safe orange colour. Adding saffron not only gives a colour but also a wonderful flavour.
The goodness of Semiya Kesari
Semiya Kesari can be made in less than 15 minutes. Unlike the usual kesari, semiya kesari uses much less ghee, sugar and requires less work as well. You can adjust the sugar according to the desired sweet level.
While we usually make upma or payasam using semiya, semiya kesari is a great alternative when thinking of a quick dessert option. For a sweet lover like me, such quick dessert options are always a boon The Instant Pot Version requires no monitoring or stirring. It gets ready within a few minutes and makes the job a lot easier.
Few months back, I tried making semiya upma in the Instant Pot. The result was a disaster. It turned out so mushy and almost resembled pongal. From then on, I have been trying semiya recipes in the Instant Pot and been trying to get the perfect consistency. With this kesari recipe, I can say I have got the desired texture.
Things to note!
Semiya kesari should not be soggy and clumpy. The Vermicelli strands should be separate from each other but at the same time should be cooked well. That is the right consistency.
To achieve the desired consistency, I would recommend roasting the semiya for a few minutes in ghee. This helps in the kesari not becoming sticky.
I have added food colour to get a bright orange colour. You can skip it and add saffron in its place.
Adding cardamom powder gives a good flavour so I would highly recommend it.
Instant Pot Semiya Kesari|Vermicelli Kesari
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup Vermicelli/Semiya
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped cashews
- 1/2 tbsp raisins
- saffron or food colour a pinch
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Keep the Instant Pot on Saute mode.
- Add a teaspoon of ghee. Once it becomes hot, add the cashews and raisins. Fry till it becomes golden. Keep aside.
- Add another teaspoon of ghee. Add the vermicelli and roast till colour changes to light golden. Make sure you dont burn it.
- Add water, sugar, food colour, cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Switch off saute mode.
- Close the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Cook for 1 minute on pressure cook mode.
- Release pressure manually, 10 minutes after the Instant Pot beeps.
- Add the roasted nuts and raisins. Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot or cold.