This easy Baked Pasta is loaded with fresh vegetables, cheese and makes a quick & hearty meal! It is a delicious, filling, comfort food that can be prepared on a weekday night with very little effort. Can be made with easily available ingredients from the pantry.
Until a few years back, I used to run miles away if someone offered me, Pasta. It was my last choice for a meal. Over the years, I got the chance to try different varieties of Pasta in restaurants across Europe and that’s when I started enjoying it for a meal. I still wouldn’t say it’s my first preference but I really don’t mind a bowl of hot pasta on a cold night or a lazy day.
It is winter season and freezing cold here. This is one season where I badly crave some quick, comfort food. Baked Pasta with Roasted vegetables is one recipe that is perfect for such a day. If you are someone who loves vegetables and cheese, then this recipe is for you. Takes less than 40 minutes from start to finish, it is a super quick and easy family-friendly meal. Especially for pasta lovers!
Also, we are roasting the veggies in the oven which makes it even easier. You don’t need to use multiple vessels and spend a lot of time in the kitchen to put this together.
Reasons to love this Baked Pasta
- This baked pasta would be a great option for a busy weeknight or for a relaxed weekend. It is also a great option for parties or potluck.
- You don’t have to sauté anything! No extra vessels, dishes to wash.
- Can be made a couple of days in advance and is good to be frozen too.
- The perfect way to sneak in some colourful vegetables. So healthy and filling!
- A perfect, kid-friendly meal.
Ingredients used in this Baked Pasta
Pasta, of course! – While Penne works best, I have used shell pasta for this recipe ( because that’s what I had in hand ) Any other pasta variety also would work well.
Vegetables – The best part about this recipe is the variety of vegetables used. The aroma and taste of oven-roasted vegetables is something that I always look forward to.
I have used red onion, bell peppers ( green, red and yellow), cauliflower, mushroom, garlic and zucchini!
My favourite out of this list is Cauliflower. That slight crunch that it gives is something that I enjoy while eating.
Pasta Sauce – Use your favourite pasta sauce for this recipe! It could be homemade or store-bought. I wanted to put together a meal in 30 minutes. So, I used up a bottle of store-bought pasta sauce.
Cheese – It gives a great flavour and golden brown colour (once cooked), and also that gooey-stretchiness. Who doesn’t love it?
Italian Seasoning, Salt, Pepper Powder and Chilli flakes
Parsley – for garnishing
The vegetables you add can be adapted based on the season or what is available in your kitchen.
- Spinach, kale, or any greens
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Butternut Squash and more…
How I make This Pasta
- Slice the vegetables. Season them with Pepper Powder, a pinch of salt and Italian seasoning. Drizzle some olive oil and roast them in the oven.
- While the vegetables cook, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta.
- Layer the pasta sauce, cooked pasta, vegetables and cheese in a baking dish.
- Finally, add shredded cheese to the top layer and bake until bubbly and golden brown.
You can serve this Baked Pasta with some fresh, crunchy Salad or some delicious Garlic Bread!
A Few Tips for making Baked Pasta
Use half-sheet pans for roasting the vegetables. This gives enough room for all the vegetables to get roasted evenly.
Don’t overcook your pasta. Cook for a few minutes shorter than you package instructions. This is because Pasta will cook again in the oven.
The vegetable roasting part can be done on the stovetop also. Once vegetables are done, sauce and pasta can be added to the same pan and cooked for a few minutes before transferring them to a baking dish.
Baked Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
- 2 cups Pasta I used Shell Pasta
- 3 cups Pasta Sauce
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 small Red Onion Chopped
- 1 small Zucchini Chopped
- 1 small Red Pepper Chopped
- 1 small Green Pepper Chopped
- 1 small Yellow Pepper Chopped
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms Chopped
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese I used Mozzarella Cheese
- Boil pasta by adding little olive oil and salt to taste. Once done, keep it aside. It's better to keep the pasta not fully cooked because it gets further cooked in the oven too. I boiled the pasta for 10 minutes.
- Wash and Chop the vegetables in even size.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a bowl, add the vegetables. Add a tsp of olive oil, pepper powder, salt, italian seasoning, Oregano, Dried Basil. Mix it up.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the vegetables on the sheet by giving enough room for even roasting.
- Roast it in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove and keep it aside.
- Now take a 9 inch square pan and place 1 cup of the pasta sauce at the bottom.
- Add half of the roasted vegetables on top of the Pasta sauce. Now, Top it with boiled pasta.
- Add some grated cheese on top.
- Repeat the same steps to form another layer.
- Finally, add pasta sauce on top layer and add more cheese to cover it.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or till the cheese completely melts.
- Using the broil option in the oven, Broil the baked pasta for 3 minutes or till you see some time brown spots on your cheese.
- Remove the pasta from the oven and garnish with some fresh parsley. Add chilli flakes to your taste and serve hot.